We are an internationally recognised research centre that has had a major influence on UK policy and practice since 1996. Today it continues to deliver fresh insights that enable health professionals, service providers, policy-makers, patients, offenders and their families to explore opportunities to:
- improve safety and reduce risk
- prevent suicide and self-harm
- combat the stigma of mental illness
Leading our research
The Centre's research is led by senior academics and clinicians with a worldwide reputation for pioneering improvements in understanding and professional practice.
Get in touch
'Like' us on Facebook to get our latest research findings
- National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Homicide by People with Mental Illness
Research into suicide and homicide by mental health patients across the UK and the sudden unexplained death of psychiatric in-patients in England and Wales.
- Manchester Self-Harm Project
Research into and audit of self-harm presentations at the three Emergency Departments in the City of Manchester.
- Offender Health Research Network
A multi-disciplinary research network focused on offender health care research.
- Epidemiological Research with National Danish Registers
Understanding the Determinants of Multiple Adverse Outcomes in Young People.
- Bereavement by suicide
Research to identify the needs and experiences of those bereaved or affected by suicide (postvention).
Latest news and announcements
In-patient Suicide Under Observation
We found 18 deaths by suicide per year in in-patients under observation across the UK during 2006-12. We found that half of deaths examined occurred when checks were carried out by less experienced staff or agency staff who were unfamiliar with the patient. For a copy of the report click on the image (pdf, 670KB) Press release (pdf, 177KB)
New Self-Harm Information Leaflet
- See: leaflet (PDF 245KB)
Press release for Self-Injury Awareness Day (1st March)
Healthy services and safer patients.
For a copy of the full report and press release please see NCI
Manchester Self-Harm Project
- December 2014 Newsletter (PDF 335KB)
National Confidential Inquiry Annual Report 2014
Published: 16 July 2014
- National Confidential Inquiry into Suicide and Homicide by People with Mental Illness: Annual Report 2014 – England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (pdf, 1.81MB)
- Video: NCI 2014 Report: Findings 1 - Suicide post-discharge, Crisis Resolution/Home Treat, Restraint
- Video: NCI 2014 Report: Findings 2 - Intimate partner homicide, Suicide by hanging
- Press release (pdf, 278KB)
- Report launch presentation slides (ppt, 1.38MB)